Friday, June 11, 2010

Back in China!!

I'm back! It feels wonderful and a bit strange at the same time. It has been fun to see old friends again. It has been amazing to see everything that has been happening at the Cultural Exchange Center. I love being back in my apartment and being able to take care of my dog again.

In some ways it feels like nothing has changed. In other ways, it feels like so much has changed. The Coffee Shop looked pretty much the same and it felt like going home when I walked into it. On the other hand, the menu and everything has changed drastically. It is going to take awhile for me to get up to speed on what is happening.

My Chinese is oh so rusty. It is a bit frustrating. Today I begin some refresher classes. I am looking forward to that. I am told that it should come back to me within the first month of two. I hope that is true!

I am going through a bit of culture shock. I forgot how much advice my Chinese friends like to give. I understand that it is how they show they care but it can get frustrating at times too. Last Sunday morning a lady that I do not know sat next to me at fellowship. She pointed out my many freckles and told me they were ugly. I told her that I actually like my freckles. She was shocked and told me that I needed to take some Chinese medicine to get rid of them. Hmm, I think I'll pass on the Chinese medicine. :)

Thank you to all who have been lifting me up during this transition back. I really appreciate it!